I need advice, please Excess energy after forced Kumbhaka

Hello,
I hope everyone is well.
I live in Portugal and have been practicing yoga for about 5 years, but since I live a bit far from the schools, the information I get is practically through books and YouTube. More than 6 years ago (at that time I only meditated, I didn’t practice yoga like I do today), I did a pranayama with the 3 bandhas, Mula, Uddiyana and Jalandhara (Maha bandha), with breath retention and forcing the energy to rise. I repeated it 2 or 3 times within a month and didn’t feel very well, so I stopped. From that day on, I started having dizziness, migraines, tinnitus, I lost almost half of my hearing on the left side and I feel dizzy when I contract my abdomen, I have strong bone conduction, that is, I hear through my bones…???!!?. These symptoms are constant, every day, 24 hours a day. Actually, I was given a book by Joe Dispenza where he taught this technique, which I discovered was the same one taught in various yoga practices, but with great caution. I had no idea how dangerous it would be. A few years ago, I sent emails to some well-known schools and gurus in the USA, including India. Few, if any, even bothered to reply. I had an MRI of my ears and head, a CT scan, in short, several exams, and so far nothing. I would like to ask if you have ever heard of a similar case and how to resolve it? I don’t know if it has anything to do with Kundalini energy or not, but I would like someone advanced in yoga to guide me in resolving this situation. Because I think (perhaps wrongly), the same way it came, the same way it can go.I started just over a month ago with online classes at SRF, in Kriya Yoga.
Thank you and God bless you.
Sincerely,
José

Hi José,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story.

“Kundalini first” is not a good way to go with spiritual practices. Best to cultivate a foundation of abiding inner silence (samadhi) underneath first with long time daily meditation, like putting in the foundation before building a house. A house without a foundation will be unstable.

So what to do now since your kundalini has been prematurely active for some time? There are ways to make the journey easier, but it will take time. Not aggravating things further with more energy related techniques like kumbhaka, mudras, bandhas, etc. is the first thing. Plenty of “grounding” activity should be undertaken. Finding a stable daily meditation practice for putting in that foundation of inner silence is next. Meditation can be problematic with a surging kundalini, with more sensitivity when going deep in meditation, so you may need to test several approaches to find a stable meditation method that fits your need.

AYP has extensive coverage on these matters. Rather than repeating them all here, it is suggested to review previous discussions in this forum category with those having similar issues, covering remedial measures, corresponding lessons, etc. Below is one with detailed support. There are many other discussions here. The thing is, it is less about your specific symptoms and focusing on those (which can aggravate them) than finding overall balance between symptoms, grounding and a practice routine (meditation) so you can function better in daily activity and move ahead on your path with comfort and safety. It will take some time, and patience…

It is going to be alright.

The guru is in you.