Nature Photos

Not light ring related, so I’m starting a new thread for my other photography.

I recently took a long weekend trip back to California to make peace with my dying father. While there, I got to go on all my favorite hikes in the Sierra Nevada foothills. I took many photos but keep coming back to this one from a sunset stroll in Grass Valley. Every time I see it I can feel the warmth of the sun and smell the hot, dry cedar and dirt. What prana the foothills have!

love you all,

-David

9 Likes

David - you make me want to post my favorites as well! In Seychelles, you could take photos all day long, from anywhere and always come out with something stunning. Below is the photo I always come back to.

It is a river source up in the mountains in the south of the island

Sey :pray:

5 Likes

I recently went on a solo backpacking trip to Isle Royale, a large but remote island in Lake Superior. It’s the least visited national park in the contiguous United States due to the difficulty getting there and lack of development. Also, it’s preserved as a park largely due to its unique and unspoiled ecosystem characterized by wolves and moose rather than for one marquee view or feature. The island is true wilderness with only two ranger stations – one on each end 45 miles apart with only hiking trails and primitive campsites between. You must be entirely self-sufficient. This was my third trip, and I hiked from one end to the other over six nights. I’ve enjoyed all my trips, but this one was my favorite. It was long enough that I got to enjoy three nights at my favorite campsite in the middle northern shore right on Lake Superior without having to move during the day. This allowed for the onset of what I call “island time,” which is when time dilates and you have to face the boredom of waking up and having literally nothing to do. The days become occupied by small chores (filter water) and strolling around the beach and ridgelines to take in the views and be with oneself. Practically no cell service means my phone wasn’t a distraction, and I sometimes refer to these trips as my own personal retreat. I got some great time alone, including one night where I was the only person in a few mile radius and had my favorite campsite all to myself. I also met some very cool people and had great conversations. I saw two moose (meese?) and heard a lot of loons. Here are some pictures!

P.S. the island is pronounced like the English words “Aisle Royal.” Royal like royal family.

I also brought my action cam to film along the way and uploaded a couple videos to YouTube. If you want to hang out with me on a remote Lake Superior beach while I contemplate my morning and the need to go away to the “mountains and forests,” you can find that here.

Much love,
-David

4 Likes